Monday, February 23, 2009

Food Dehydrator


Yes I know, another non quilting post! And yes I am still quilting, I will post up some new pictures in a couple of days when I get my latest quilt binded. It took me a week on the frame, and not without a ton of frustration with the thread I chose, but I have a REALLY nice star quilt in King Size ready to be binded and laid to rest so I can start another quilt.

As you know from my previous post were planning a really nice garden this year. To add to it we have decided to try to dehydrate food this year. Canning is a lot of work, and well worth the time, but the jars are so bulky and storage is a premium here. So to save on some space as well as add some new recipes to our choices we decided to give drying foods a try.

Off to Wal Mart I went and purcahsed an inexpnsive dehydrator to make sure I would like drying things before I took a leap and invested in a more expensive machine. I not do not think I will invest in a more expensive machine, I think this cheap unit from Wal Mart is GREAT!

Our first try at deahydrating food was to make jerky. We all know how expensive jerly is and how much it is loved. Let me just say, we used ground sirloin and it is GREAT! I have requested some deer tenderloin from a friend becuase we all love deer jerky around here but unfortunatly, we were out of deer tenderloin (someone did not kill a deer this year, what a shame)

Over the next few days we will be drying some fruits, I will let you know how that goes. If the fruits and veggies come out as nice as the jerky, I will be on cloud nine!

No comments:

Post a Comment